Ethics in the Workplace Humor
Workplace Humor is crucial to the success and enjoyment of any company. This is also true when it comes to learning.
It’s not often that the words ‘humor’ and ‘ethics’ are used in the same sentence. As a keynote speaker on fraud and ethics, Jerome has found that by including humor and comic relief into his presentations, it is considered to be the strongest form of effective communication and will therefore be retained for a longer period of time. This is called workplace humor.
Keynote Speaker’s Comedy Background
Jerome Mayne began his comedy career in Minneapolis at the Stevie Ray’s Improv Company, in 1989. He quickly became a performer with their main stage improv comedy troupe. He also was an instructor for their school of improv comedy. Jerome still teaches two improv classes a week for business professionals as well as the general public.
From 1999 to 2003 he toured the mid-west as a stand-up comedian. It was this experience that his speaking skills, and topics developed into what they are today.
There was a significant gap in touring as a stand up comedian. It was when he was serving his 21 month prison sentence at the federal prison in Yankton, South Dakota – between 1999 and 2001. He did however, perform stand up comedy and taught improv to the other inmates while serving his sentence.
His experience in federal prison is the primary story of his keynote presentation titled ‘Fraud and Consequences‘. He did not facilitate any workshops on ethics in the workplace while in prison.
Ethics and Workplace Humor
Research shows that information is absorbed better when presented in a humorous fashion. With each keynote, Jerome’s audiences get a feel for the consequences of crossing the line. Additionally, they’ll hear of the riveting accounts of his experiences. These are serious topics presented with just the right amount of comic relief. They will remember these sessions for the rest of their lives.
Top 5 reasons On Importance of Workplace Humor
- Boosts morale – productivity: Laughter is an instant mood-lifter, and incorporating humor into the workplace can help boost morale and increase productivity. When employees are in a positive state of mind, they tend to work more efficiently and collaboratively.
- Reduces stress: A little bit of humor can go a long way in reducing stress levels in the workplace. When employees are under stress, they are more likely to experience burnout. This can lead to absenteeism and a decrease in productivity. By using humor, you can create a relaxed and enjoyable work environment that helps reduce stress.
- Improves communication: Humor can also improve communication in the workplace. When people share a laugh together, they tend to be more open and honest with each other. This can help build stronger relationships and increase teamwork.
- Enhances creativity: Workplace humor can also enhance creativity. When employees are encouraged to be playful, they are more likely to come up with new and innovative ideas. Humor can also help break down barriers and encourage employees to think outside the box.
- Makes work enjoyable: Finally, workplace humor can make work enjoyable. Employees look forward to coming to work because they know they will have a good time, they are more likely to be engaged and committed to their jobs. This can lead to higher retention rates and a more positive work culture.
Incorporating humor into the workplace can have a significant positive impact on morale, productivity, communication, creativity, and overall job satisfaction. It is a powerful tool that can help create a more positive work environment. This ultimately contributes to the success of any organization.
Serious Humor in The Workplace
To promote ethical behavior in the workplace, consider incorporating humor into the messaging. Humor is a powerful tool that can help the team better retain and apply the information shared, while also creating a more positive and inclusive work environment.
When humor is incorporated into the workplace culture it boosts morale. It also reduces stress, improves communication, enhances creativity, and makes work more enjoyable. By using humor to discuss serious topics like ethical behavior, the message becomes more engaging and approachable. This helps to break down barriers and encourage open communication.
As a keynote speaker, I use workplace humor to deliver my message about ethical behavior. Which is why the topics areboth engaging and approachable. I share my personal story of going to prison for a white collar conspiracy. It is delivered in a humorous way. This means, I make the topic of ethical behavior more relatable and easier to digest for my audience. The use of humor helps to create a positive and inclusive work environment that encourages ethical behavior and discourages misconduct.
Tell Us About Your Company Event
Contact Jerome to see if he is the right for for your company.